What’s new at Reach for the Stars:
The Great Goals Trust is only two years old but we can already see that we have helped in levelling the playing field for sport in 2019-20.
We’ve seen the scholarship program grown to 75 players, a second school implementing Just for Girls, our largest ever Tournament – the 5th Annual Great Goals Tournament, a good run at the 2019-20 Youth I-league and Chennai’s largest Golden Baby League recognised by FIFA and AIFF for the 2nd year in a row.
The Story of Great Goals Trust
We started Great Goals in 2013 in a moment of inspiration. Our coaches focussed on football and basketball skills as well as social and emotional development within a safe and structured environment. We were overwhelmed with the wholehearted response from parents and children across the city. Our players began to excel in local and national tournaments.
But something was missing!
From inception, our vision was that Great Goals should be accessible to all, regardless of economic, gender or social barriers. It has always been our firm belief that every single child who loves sports should play sports.
In pursuit of this aim, the Great Goals Trust was established in 2018 funded by a small group of donors including family and friends. We began offering sponsorships for children from low income families through our Reach for the Stars program. The names of children receiving sponsorships are not revealed, and they have equal opportunities to participate and compete as any other player in the academy.
Through the Reach for the Stars initiative, we wish to level the playing field by :
- Providing training to players of all abilities regardless of barriers
- Providing intensive training of the more talented players who are selected on merit for our I-league teams
- Providing access to under-privileged children in underfunded schools to play and enjoy football and basketball
- Encouraging and Inspiring more girls to participate in physical sports
We are happy to mention that we have sponsored 75 players in 2019-20.
Together with the support of our well wishers, we hope to extend our outreach to those hundreds of other children who dream of playing football and basketball but lack the means to do so.
Read about our activities: Great Goals Trust Annual Report for 2019-20
Initiatives under Reach For The Stars
Sponsor a Player
Offer full or partial Scholarships to players – either for those on our teams, or within our program.
Full scholarship includes:
- A Training program for Football and Basketball
- A Complete Playing Kit – uniform (2 sets), socks (2 pairs), shoes, water bottle, kit bag.
- A Match kit for players who are selected on the Great Goals team – home and away kit, shoes, water bottle and team kit bag.
- Transportation to and from local or outstation matches
- Match fees and medical insurance
- Boarding and Lodging for outstation games.
- Food expenses for local games.
- Cost towards AIFF mandated testing
Sponsor a School or Just for Girls Football program in a School for children with limited means
- Football or Basketball Training – provided by Great Goals Coaches, twice a week.
- Equipment will be provided
If you would like to support any of these initiatives or make a donation to the fund please click below.